Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Why The Fuck Do I See 'King Dork' Everywhere I Go?

It's only really appeared on Gawker and Stereogum and a few independent sites, but it seems like there's an artificial 'underground' surge of interest in this book. Everywhere I've seen this young adult book promoted, it has the same blurb: Frank Portman (Dr. Frank of the Mr. T Experience) has written a book called King Dork that's an indictment on the Catcher In The Rye generation(s) and involves "at least half a dozen mysteries, plus dead people, naked people, fake people, teen sex, weird sex, drugs, ESP, Satanism, books, blood, bubblegum, guitars, monks, faith, love, witchcraft, the Bible, girls, a war, a secret code, a head injury, the Crusades, some crimes, mispronunciation skills, a mystery woman, a devil head, a blow job, and rock and roll."

First off, what, precisely, are the Catcher In The Rye generation(s)? Seems to me like another arbitrary nickname of an era(s) used to bolster one's own argument. And anyone who brags about the amount of debauchery that appears in their work has almost certainly spent more time authenticating disgusting/bizarre sex acts than actually writing their story. The tone of the interview with the author is - like most interviews with authors - nauseatingly self-impressed. There's such a close identification with Salinger's work, it makes you wonder how much originality this guy has. Maybe the book is pretty good - there has been a lot of good (albeit relatively anonymous ) buzz about it - but then, JT Leroy had her work read and championed by Lou Reed, and it turned out to be fabricated bullshit. It's a clever PR campaign though, going to the sites popular with hipsters.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be self-impressed when you have an impressive self.

4/11/2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"it seems like there's an artificial 'underground' surge of interest in this book."

Hey, don't you know Andrew Krucoff is famous? He's like the Oprah of the blogs.

artificial? Maybe.
underground? Perhaps.
Famous bookseller? hmm...

4/11/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger JoePo said...

Sorry, I only read blogs that try to get Joe Morgan fired.

4/11/2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger T Po said...

Apparently being the "Oprah of blogs" is something people admire. I hope that was posted with some sense of irony, but I fear that it was not.

I just want to meet the person responsible fore writing that blurb. I am convinced that upon completing this blurb he/she sat back with a grin on his/her face that could only be interpreted as "oh, that was fucking brilliant, I even threw in the Crusades and ESP!"

4/12/2006 12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T Po:

I was responsible (mostly) fore writing that blurb. It's more ore less a quote from the book's introduction. The book does have ESP and the Crusades in it (and I say that with a slight sense of irony - I love me some irony.) I'm sure I am not as clever as you, though. Congratulations. You are smart enough to see through the lies.

Krucoff may not be Oprah, but he's a hell of a guy.

Willa Cather rules, OK?

4/12/2006 2:33 AM  
Blogger JoePo said...

I'll be really disappointed if I read a bio of Frank Portman and it doesn't say he lives at home with his cats.

4/12/2006 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where else am I supposed to live with my cats?

4/12/2006 7:21 PM  
Blogger JoePo said...

Willa Cather was clueless when it came to writing male characters.

4/13/2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger T Po said...

Willa Cather was clueless when it came to everything. She went crazy.

4/15/2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that singular make. The prices seeking the velcros are approximately 340 pounds on every site. But definitively I bring about this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what is your opinion?

2/25/2010 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that particular make. The prices seeking the boots were around 190 bucks on every site. But finally I found this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what is your opinion?

3/17/2010 3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home