Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Greatest Movie Endings Of All Time

It's kind of stupid to do this, because every list now is post-modern, and I guess I should include something like the barf-off ending of "Garbage Pail Kids", but I feel like going over some of the shit I've seen on Netflix. If you haven't seen some of these, skip past them, particularly 24 Hour Party People. So:

Being There

I love absurdism, especially absurdist comedy. That's why I judge people's sense of humor on what they think of Monty Python. But Being There, to me, is not a comedy, even though it's a satire, and the president is impotent, and I'm supposed to laugh at Peter Seller's talking jive to the rich old man's doctors. Maybe it's because Sellers is so earnest throughout the movie, as we find out he's not just a blank slate of everything he's ever seen on TV, when he tears roll down his face after the old man finally dies. But the one truly absurdist moment of the movie, the last image, indeed, is so hard-earned that my spirits were lifted after sitting through about two hours of somewhat dated satire - Peter Sellers walking on water as the eulogist for the old man says, "Life is a state of mind."

Ghostbusters

Unfortunately, me and my younger brother Kevin watched this movie every day for about two months when we were in pre-school, after we got home from our terrifying swimming lessons. Older brothers Brian and Jamie would come home from SLUH and bitch at us for watching this same movie every fucking day. Maybe we liked the soundtrack, maybe we liked the name "Egon Spengler," I don't know. But I have always wanted to know what it felt like for adults who saw the movie for the first time, that the harbinger of the apocalypse is the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

24 Hour Party People

God appears to the most egotistical man alive, in the image of the most egotistical man alive, and tells him he was right about everything.

Life of Brian

Men being crucified singing "Always Look On the Bright Side of Life." A touching, sensible, ridiculous ending for the funniest movie ever created.

8 1/2

An internationally famous directly on the verge of a nervous breakdown is redeemed (or ultimately judged?) in this surreal ending wherein he directs everyone he's ever known to dance, joining hands, around his abandoned, expensive movie set.

The 400 Blows

This kid is fucked. That's what I take away from this movie.


And oh, there are others, but I grow tired so early in the day.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home