Monday, October 16, 2006

Meet the Mets? Fuck the Mets!

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I commented on some guy's blog about the Mets. It was linked from Deadspin, and he wrote about the "vapid" crowd at Busch stadium. First off, nice thesaurus. Second, I have my problems with St. Louis and with Cardinals fans. He seems to take issue with the "Best fans in baseball" tag. It's not our fault Peter Gammons is awesome and descriptive.

Anyway, the comments section was filled with shit like "screw the Cardinals fans" and typical imaginative NY fan fodder. Then someone says (baseball?)(the Cardinals?)(Cardinals fans?)(society?) this label is racist. Somehow. Because a ton of white people live in St. Louis, apparently, and the camera showed one Mets fan who had dark skin. Then the inexorable posts about how New Yorkers are "passionate" and they "speak their minds." I never thought of this, but really, these terms only apply to New Yorkers who root for New York teams. You want passionate? How about a Philadelphia fan who cheers when Michael Irvin is laying, paralyzed, on the field? Jesus Christ, that's some hate.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed that I left a comment, too. I'm also embarrassed that I'm commenting on the comments. I'm in a surly mood, I guess, and in need of lashing out at people who disagree with me.

Here's what I said:

Reading all these posts by Mets fans who, apparently, have somehow (miraculously) learned to write, is kind of like is like looking at a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home